This could be considered our best time of the year. Autumn ushers in warmer days and cooler nights along the South Platte River valley and onto the unique formations of the quiet prairie. It’s perfect for a Colorado road trip to the great outdoors.
THE BEST FALL ACTIVITIES IN LOGAN COUNTY
1. Scenic Drives and Pleasant Hikes. Experience northeast Colorado’s broad display of colorful fall foliage. Pack snacks in the car and take a leisurely drive to the North Sterling State Park, and the open countryside around it. Or enjoy a quick walk along the South Plate River trails in Sterling. Make a collection of different leaves you find on the ground.
2. Birding. The fall season offers tremendous birding opportunities for the great variety of Colorado specialities. Click here for a chart of species reported from the Pawnee National Grasslands (west of Sterling) during August through November.
3. Golfing. Hit the links at one of our three golf courses. Tee times are easily booked and you’ll be impressed with how affordable it is to play on the high plains almost year long with our generally mild weather. As a bonus, throw your driving game at the Pioneer Park Disc Golf Course in Sterling.
4. Gravel Riding and Road Cycling. Get out of the city for more road and less traffic in rural Logan County. Find designated routes here https://trails.colorado.gov/ or pick up a county map at the Logan County Visitor Center and set out on any of our rural roads. Some are paved, some are gravel, and some are shared with farm equipment. Whichever the case, you’ll be sure to enjoy the open road.
5. A-maze-ing Pumpkin Patch. The shift in seasons brings autumn traditions across the state. Pack up the kiddos and visit the Baseggio Pumpkin Patch and Corn Maze for a wicked good time. Don’t forget to check out the ever-popular slide and pumpkin bounce pad for kids of all ages, or stay for the haunted maze - IF YOU DARE!
6. Fall Festivals. Fall is the season for local festivals and this year organizers are taking positive steps to ensure the health and safety of both visitors and residents. Check out the annual Sugar Beet Days arts and crafts festival held to celebrate our area’s agricultural heritage.
7. Outdoor Dining and Drinking. With warm daytime temperatures and mildly pleasant evenings, fall is the perfect time to savor the tastes of Sterling on the patio at your new favorite restaurant.
8. Logan County Shooting Sports Complex. Aim for a stronger game and enjoy all forms of shooting sports with your family or friends at this 300-acre complex. Choose from archery, trap shooting, pistols, and rifles.
9. Scarecrow Invasion. Cute or creepy, seasonal scarecrows hang out in front of businesses or lurk in the corners throughout Sterling in the fall for all to see. Selfies are a must! Don't forget to vote for your favorite.